9 March 2011. I started, I started, I started!!! Well, nothing major, but I started both the Mk. III and the Mk. II horizontal stabilizer. The Mk. III is one step ahead, as I was able to glue the frame on one side of the 1/16” covering. The Mk. II was done “in the open” and will be entirely covered later on. I bought a 3/16” balsa sheet for the Mk. II framing (I didn’t check if I already had it; I bought another piece just to be sure…). Once I’m finished with the sandwich, I’ll cut the elevators and the vertical (fin and rudder for both planes) and I’ll set them aside. The fuse will be next.
By the way, I was right: the two horizontal stabilizers are relatively different! Even if the total area is more or less the same, the Mk. III has larger elevators and smaller stabilizer, so I couldn’t use the pre-printed balsa covering of the Mk. III (I had two of them) to start a Mk. II stabilizer… Well, too bad! It wasn’t a big deal, at the end of the day…
Now I have to find some soft and light 1/16” balsa for covering: I do not want to put too much weight on the tail!
Next post: March 16, 2011
See all the Kwik-Fli, Slow Build posts!
For more information on the National Model Aviation Museum, including our location, hours and admission fees visit: www.modelaircraft.org/museum
[…] March 9 2011 – “Now I have to find some soft and light 1/16” balsa for covering: I do not want to put too much weight on the tail!” […]