The Academy of Model Aeronautics is pleased to announce the opening of registration for the 2022 UAS4STEM competition. This season brings several exciting changes:
- Registration is open to US and international teams!
- National competition will take place at EAA’s famed AirVenture in Oshkosh, WI in the last week of July 2022
- Virtual preliminary competition (replaces previous in-person regionals) in April
- Choose and purchase your own system components, based on provided spec list (don’t worry, past kits will remain competitive!)
- Monthly virtual live Q/A sessions for team managers to get the guidance you need
- Opportunities for your students to hear from professionals working with sUAS
Teams can be organized via schools, the Civil Air Patrol, scouting groups, homeschool cooperatives, community centers or any other similar organization. As long as there are 4-10 students in middle or high school through age 19, plus an adult team manager, you can register your group to participate.
Competing in UAS4STEM provides students with the incentive to learn technical skills in the area of unmanned air systems. Students also develop professional skills such as teamwork, communication, public speaking, time management and troubleshooting. Winning teams at the national level are presented with scholarship money, directly creating a pathway from this competition to education and a career in a STEM field. Student national competitors indicated that they feel more prepared to succeed in science, technology, engineering and math. They also feel improved confidence along with a greater capacity for teamwork, communication and leadership.
How do I register my team?
At uas4stem.org you can fill out the brief registration form that will get the process started. You can choose to pay via PayPal if that method is convenient, or you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange alternative payment. Once we have processed your registration fee, you will receive an email with the official 2022 rule book and the roster form we will use to enroll your team with AMA memberships and virtual ground school credentials. You will also receive our (new this year) component spec list so that your team can design and build the sUAS that aligns with your budget and goals while still being compliant with competition regulations.